Rail rokos, dharnas in Odisha against rail budget
Bhubaneswar: Alleging negligence towards Odisha in the rail budget, workers and leaders of different political parties including ruling BJD staged rail rokos and dharnas at railway stations across the state Wednesday.
Dharnas were held by non-Congress parties at stations like Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Balasore, Bhadrak, Jharsuguda, Titlagarh and Jeypore, where protesters voiced their anger over delay in completion of various projects including Bolangir-Khurda railway line.
A couple of trains were delayed here due to a rail roko by Left party workers at Bhubaneswar railway station, Railways sources said adding another such agitation by BJD workers at Titlagarh left Puri-Surat Express and Titlagarh-Bilaspur trains stranded for sometime.
Addressing party demonstrators at Bhubaneswar, BJD leaders Amar Satpathy and Sanjay Dasburma lamented that Rail minister Pawan K Bansal had allocated only Rs 869 crore to Odisha against a demand of Rs 3,050 crore for various projects.
BJD workers would stage dharnas at railway stations across the state tomorrow too in protest against the `meagre provision` for Odisha in the 2013-14 rail budget, which they termed as `highly disappointing`, party sources said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had yesterday criticised the rail budget calling it a `step-motherly` treatment to Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi