Rain drenches Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Parts of Odisha have received torrential rainfall since Wednesday, an official said.
A low pressure area formed over the Bay of Bengal triggering widespread rain in Odisha since late Wednesday, a Met department official said.
Normal life was disrupted and people were forced to stay indoor after torrential rains lashed district headquarters town of Koraput, about 500 km from here. The town received highest rainfall in the state.
"The rainfall recorded in this (Koraput) town was 138.5 mm," an official of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre told a news agency on Thursday.
The low pressure area triggered by a cyclonic circulation over Odisha-Andhra Pradesh coast was formed Wednesday over northwest Bay of Bengal and adjoining coastal belt of Odisha, the official added.
As a result many places in the state, especially in the southern part, witnessed widespread rain. Gopalpur town in Ganjam district recorded 80.2 mm of rainfall, the second highest in the state, he said.
The low pressure area has remained stationary and more rain is expected across the state during the next two days. Some places are likely to witness heavy to very heavy rains, the official added.
Fishermen venturing into the sea have been advised to remain cautious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog