Rain drenches Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Parts of Odisha have received torrential rainfall since Wednesday, an official said.
A low pressure area formed over the Bay of Bengal triggering widespread rain in Odisha since late Wednesday, a Met department official said.
Normal life was disrupted and people were forced to stay indoor after torrential rains lashed district headquarters town of Koraput, about 500 km from here. The town received highest rainfall in the state.
"The rainfall recorded in this (Koraput) town was 138.5 mm," an official of the Bhubaneswar Meteorological Centre told a news agency on Thursday.
The low pressure area triggered by a cyclonic circulation over Odisha-Andhra Pradesh coast was formed Wednesday over northwest Bay of Bengal and adjoining coastal belt of Odisha, the official added.
As a result many places in the state, especially in the southern part, witnessed widespread rain. Gopalpur town in Ganjam district recorded 80.2 mm of rainfall, the second highest in the state, he said.
The low pressure area has remained stationary and more rain is expected across the state during the next two days. Some places are likely to witness heavy to very heavy rains, the official added.
Fishermen venturing into the sea have been advised to remain cautious.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Watch 15 reports from 15 cities
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter