Rain lashes Orissa as low pressure takes form of depression
Bhubaneswar: Heavy downpour pounded most parts of Orissa as a low pressure created over west-central Bay of Bengal intensified into a depression which laid centred about 300 km south of Gopalpur on Thursday.
As the environment condition and numerical weather prediction (NWP) models suggested that the depression is likely to intensify further and move initially northward and then recurve north-north eastward, the local met office advised hoisting of local cautionary signal-III at all Orissa ports.
"As the sea condition remained rough, the fishermen are advised not to venture into the sea," SK Dastidar, a senior officer at the local met office, said.
Stating that heavy to very heavy rainfall was likely at few places over coastal Orissa and heavy rain at one or two places over interior parts during the next 48 hours, the met office said rain or thunder shower would occur at most places.
Under the impact of the depression, squally winds with speeds reaching 45-55 km per hour was likely to be experienced along and off the coast till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?