Rain lashes Orissa as low pressure takes form of depression
Bhubaneswar: Heavy downpour pounded most parts of Orissa as a low pressure created over west-central Bay of Bengal intensified into a depression which laid centred about 300 km south of Gopalpur on Thursday.
As the environment condition and numerical weather prediction (NWP) models suggested that the depression is likely to intensify further and move initially northward and then recurve north-north eastward, the local met office advised hoisting of local cautionary signal-III at all Orissa ports.
"As the sea condition remained rough, the fishermen are advised not to venture into the sea," SK Dastidar, a senior officer at the local met office, said.
Stating that heavy to very heavy rainfall was likely at few places over coastal Orissa and heavy rain at one or two places over interior parts during the next 48 hours, the met office said rain or thunder shower would occur at most places.
Under the impact of the depression, squally winds with speeds reaching 45-55 km per hour was likely to be experienced along and off the coast till tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere