Rajgangpur chairperson loses confidence vote
Rourkela (Odisha): Chairperson of Rajgangpur Municipality in Odisha`s Sundargarh district, Sasirekha Samal lost her position following a no-confidence motion brought against her.
The block development officer of Rajgangpur conducted the vote counting process yesterday as per the directive of Odisha High Court, official sources said today.
Samal, member of BJP, lost the motion 13-1, while five councillors abstained from voting. The councillors celebrated by bursting crackers and distributing sweets.
On October 6 a non-confidence motion was moved and voting was held. Thirteen councillors voted in favour of the motion. But the chairperson had moved Odisha High Court and obtained a stay on proceedings of the motion and hence the votes were not counted.
Subsequently the court vacated the stay order and directed District Collector Rupa Roshan Sahu to declare the results after the counting process, sources said.
Rajgangpur Municipality has 20 councillors - six each of BJD and BJP, three from Congress and five Independents. Samal headed a coalition between BJD and BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal