Rajgangpur chairperson loses confidence vote
Rourkela (Odisha): Chairperson of Rajgangpur Municipality in Odisha`s Sundargarh district, Sasirekha Samal lost her position following a no-confidence motion brought against her.
The block development officer of Rajgangpur conducted the vote counting process yesterday as per the directive of Odisha High Court, official sources said today.
Samal, member of BJP, lost the motion 13-1, while five councillors abstained from voting. The councillors celebrated by bursting crackers and distributing sweets.
On October 6 a non-confidence motion was moved and voting was held. Thirteen councillors voted in favour of the motion. But the chairperson had moved Odisha High Court and obtained a stay on proceedings of the motion and hence the votes were not counted.
Subsequently the court vacated the stay order and directed District Collector Rupa Roshan Sahu to declare the results after the counting process, sources said.
Rajgangpur Municipality has 20 councillors - six each of BJD and BJP, three from Congress and five Independents. Samal headed a coalition between BJD and BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city