Rajgangpur chairperson loses confidence vote
Rourkela (Odisha): Chairperson of Rajgangpur Municipality in Odisha`s Sundargarh district, Sasirekha Samal lost her position following a no-confidence motion brought against her.
The block development officer of Rajgangpur conducted the vote counting process yesterday as per the directive of Odisha High Court, official sources said today.
Samal, member of BJP, lost the motion 13-1, while five councillors abstained from voting. The councillors celebrated by bursting crackers and distributing sweets.
On October 6 a non-confidence motion was moved and voting was held. Thirteen councillors voted in favour of the motion. But the chairperson had moved Odisha High Court and obtained a stay on proceedings of the motion and hence the votes were not counted.
Subsequently the court vacated the stay order and directed District Collector Rupa Roshan Sahu to declare the results after the counting process, sources said.
Rajgangpur Municipality has 20 councillors - six each of BJD and BJP, three from Congress and five Independents. Samal headed a coalition between BJD and BJP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- DNA: Sheena Bora's murder case- Know how the mystery unfolded!
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- Live TV shootout of American journalists shocks the world
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea