Ramesh opposes private mining in Maoist-hit areas
Bhubaneswar: Union Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh on Thursday strongly opposed private mining in areas affected by Left wing extremism on the ground that it allows Maoists to extort money from companies.
Ramesh, who as Minister of Environment and Forest had pleaded against private mining in Maoist areas, said: "I continue to hold the view that particularly in Saranda... given the fact that....This area has been liberated after 11 years of Maoist control, we should not allow private mining."
Accusing the Maoists of speaking in two voices, Ramesh said "they try to instigate the tribal people by saying private mining will come and destroy your livelihood but at the same time, these extremists welcome private mining because they can extort, impose a levy and get money from companies.
"But I`m clear in my mind that our priority in Saranda and places like Saranda is to deliver basic development services like roads, employment, housing, productivity ... enhancement of productivity," he said.
"These are the real priorities and if there is private mining there will be an influx of outsiders. The local people will not get jobs," Ramesh pointed out, adding the situation will further aggravate in case outsiders get the jobs.
To a question on non-inclusion of the Odisha portion of the forests in the Saranda Development Plan, Ramesh said: "The Centre had been contemplating to include this portion of the forest in the plan."
Ramesh, who said 25 per cent of Saranda forests (on Odisha-Jharkhand border) fall in Odisha, advocated development activities in zones liberated from Maoists clutch instead of starting mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'