Ramesh slams Naveen for Posco steel project delay
Kendrapara (Odisha): Mounting a scathing attack on Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for inept governance, senior Congress leader and Union Minister Jairam Ramesh on Saturday held BJD government responsible for inordinate delay in implementation of Posco steel project.
"As the proposed Posco steel plant near Paradip is billed as India`s largest foreign direct investment (FDI) project, the centre laid due emphasis...And accorded green signal to it. However, Naveen government has made a mess of it," Ramesh said while addressing a Congress rally here.
Stating that Odisha government has failed to hand over land to the steelmaker till now, the Union Rural Development Minister said people who are losing out land and livelihood due to the project do have genuine grievances with regard to the rehabilitation and resettlement.
"I am told that the state government is insensitive to their cause. The government should take the people into confidence by redressing their grievances so that the mega steel venture gets under way shortly," Ramesh said.
Hitting out at Patnaik over many issues, the senior Congress leader accused the BJD government of being inefficient, inept in governance and misutilising funds provided by the UPA government.
Referring to the proposal for bauxite mining on Niyamgiri Hills for Vedanta, Ramesh said Congress party`s stand on the issue is vindicated following the united stand by Dangaria Kandha tribes of Kalahandi and Rayagada districts against the mining plan.
Congress had earlier expressed solidarity with particularly vulnerable tribal group (PVTG) like Dangaria kandhas and opposed mining on Niyamgiri. Eleven of the 12 gram sabhas held so far in the area have rejected mining proposal on their `sacred` hillock.
BJD, on the other hand, had favoured mining while relegating the cause of poor tribals. The regional party led by Patnaik now "stands exposed of its anti-tribal policy", Ramesh said.
Ramesh, who spoke a few sentences in Odia, took a dig at Naveen Patnaik saying it was the eighth wonder as the Chief Minister has been ruling Odisha for last 14 years without learning the state`s language. He said Congress should take advantage of this weakness of BJD.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh