Rape victim dies in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: The minor girl, who was gang-raped in Odisha`s Rayagada town about a week ago died at a private hospital at Visakhapatanam on Tuesday.
"The girl passed away at about 3.45 pm today in a private hospital at Visakhapatanam," Rayagada district collector SS Padhi told a news agency over phone.
The 16-year-old orphan unable to bear the situation had tried to immolate herself and had suffered over 80 per cent burns. She succumbed to her burn injuries after battling for life for about eight days.
She was admitted to the Vishakhapatnam hospital on January 7.
The girl was forcibly taken away to a nearby jungle when she was returning home from work on January 2 evening and gang-raped by four persons, the police said adding she tried to immolate herself the next day.
The girl was staying with her grandmother.
Meanwhile, the police have arrested four persons in connection with the incident based on the statement given by the girl.
"Four youths have been arrested and lodged at jail in two phases. We will submit the chargesheet within 30 days of the incident," Rayagada superintendent of police Rajesh Pandit said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test
- Donald Trump threatens to leave WTO
- British PM Theresa May heads to N. Ireland for Brexit talks
- Rio Olympics: WADA 'disappointed' as IOC fails to ban Russia for mega event