Raped minor attempts suicide in Odisha, 3 held
Rayagada: A 16-year-old girl was allegedly gangraped by three youths in this Odisha district after which she attempted suicide by setting herself on fire, police said Monday.
The parents of the teenager had died and she was staying with her grandmother at Angiapeta village under Rayagada police station.
The three youths, who were later arrested, lifted her to a nearby jungle and raped her on the evening of January 2 when she was returning home from a shop where she worked, they said.
Unable to cope with the humiliation, she kept mum for a day and tried to set herself ablaze the next day when her grandmother was not at home, she informed from the bed of a hospital where she was admitted with 80 per cent burns.
The incident which came to light only yesterday sparking anger among the people, following which the administration shifted the victim to a private hospital at Vishakapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
The state government would bear all the medical expenses, said Rayagada DC Sashi Bhushan Padhi.
SDPO (Rayagada) V N Rao said the three accused -- Muna Chhatriya, Malik Patria and Bharat Khosla -- all aged below 20 years, have been arrested.
"The accused are being interrogated. They will be produced in court after medical examination," he said.
Meanwhile, several organisations, including students and political parties, staged protests in Rayagada town condemning the incident.
The Rayagada district unit of Congress staged a road blockade for a few hours at Kapilash chowck and demanded Rs 10 lakh compensation to the victim.
SP`s Odisha unit president Rabi Behera demanded Rs 10 lakh compensation for the victim. The Rayagada District Bar Association decided not to defend the accused persons in court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi