Rapist out on bail kills victim`s mother-in-law
Jajpur: A man who was arrested on charges of raping a married woman and out on bail recently, allegedly killed the victim`s mother-in-law in Odisha`s Jajpur district, police said here on Wednesday.
The rape accused, Nilu Swain, killed the 50-year-old woman, identified as Sumitra Lenka, who was working as an Anganwadi assistant at Sanasuara village in the district, in an act of revenge, they said.
According to police, Swain had raped Sumitra`s daughter-in-law two years ago.
He was arrested and then sent to jail. The accused was pressurizing the victim`s family to withdraw the case and compromise the incident through middlemen which was being vehemently opposed by Sumitra.
Swain, who was out on bail last week, came to the rape victim`s house on Sunday and threatened her family to withdraw the case but the woman`s mother-in-law rejected the proposal, which enraged the accused.
On Monday night, the man attacked Sumitra with a sharp weapon following which she died on the spot, police said.
A search is on to nab the accused, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery