Rapist out on bail kills victim`s mother-in-law
Jajpur: A man who was arrested on charges of raping a married woman and out on bail recently, allegedly killed the victim`s mother-in-law in Odisha`s Jajpur district, police said here on Wednesday.
The rape accused, Nilu Swain, killed the 50-year-old woman, identified as Sumitra Lenka, who was working as an Anganwadi assistant at Sanasuara village in the district, in an act of revenge, they said.
According to police, Swain had raped Sumitra`s daughter-in-law two years ago.
He was arrested and then sent to jail. The accused was pressurizing the victim`s family to withdraw the case and compromise the incident through middlemen which was being vehemently opposed by Sumitra.
Swain, who was out on bail last week, came to the rape victim`s house on Sunday and threatened her family to withdraw the case but the woman`s mother-in-law rejected the proposal, which enraged the accused.
On Monday night, the man attacked Sumitra with a sharp weapon following which she died on the spot, police said.
A search is on to nab the accused, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!