Rapist out on bail kills victim`s mother-in-law
Jajpur: A man who was arrested on charges of raping a married woman and out on bail recently, allegedly killed the victim`s mother-in-law in Odisha`s Jajpur district, police said here on Wednesday.
The rape accused, Nilu Swain, killed the 50-year-old woman, identified as Sumitra Lenka, who was working as an Anganwadi assistant at Sanasuara village in the district, in an act of revenge, they said.
According to police, Swain had raped Sumitra`s daughter-in-law two years ago.
He was arrested and then sent to jail. The accused was pressurizing the victim`s family to withdraw the case and compromise the incident through middlemen which was being vehemently opposed by Sumitra.
Swain, who was out on bail last week, came to the rape victim`s house on Sunday and threatened her family to withdraw the case but the woman`s mother-in-law rejected the proposal, which enraged the accused.
On Monday night, the man attacked Sumitra with a sharp weapon following which she died on the spot, police said.
A search is on to nab the accused, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outline solutions, don't become roadblock to progressive democracy: BJP tells Mamata
- After Virat Kohli, time for Anil Kumble to work with MS Dhoni - Here's what Jumbo said..
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi raps Kerala for its policy on stray dogs
- RSS distributed sweets on the day Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated: Congress
- Remember Parul Chauhan aka Ragini from 'Bidaai'? Her latest pictures will make your jaw drop!