Rare surgery gets back voice of patient
Bhubaneswar: Bijay had lost his voice and had to battle with abnormal breathing following a road accident two years ago.
The 40-year-old man from Odisha`s Nayagarh district has successfully regained his voice, thanks to a rare surgery performed recently by expert surgeons at the premier Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) here.
The voice of Bijay, who was breathing through an opening made externally over trachea (tracheostomy) ever since he met with the accident. "Now he has regained his voice which was also recorded after the surgery," a senior doctor at the hospital said today.
At KIMS, laryngofissure and removal of abnormal tissue from narrowed segment of trachea were done using ‘Coblator’. This is a new technique performed for the first time in Odisha, he said.
The surgery was performed by Dr Khageswar Rout, Dr Anil Ku Das under supervision of Prof R N Biswal in Ear-Nose-Throat Department of KIMS. Both surgeons have received training in reputed institutes outside Odisha.
Voice loss and breathing problem are common in neck injury and prolonged intubation patients. This new method for restoration of voice and respiration is a boon for road accident patients, said a surgeon.
KIMS now provides the management of airway and voice problem in road accident patients at affordable price and patients need not go outside Odisha for this expensive treatment, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what