Rare surgery gets back voice of patient
Bhubaneswar: Bijay had lost his voice and had to battle with abnormal breathing following a road accident two years ago.
The 40-year-old man from Odisha`s Nayagarh district has successfully regained his voice, thanks to a rare surgery performed recently by expert surgeons at the premier Kalinga Institute of Medical Sciences (KIMS) here.
The voice of Bijay, who was breathing through an opening made externally over trachea (tracheostomy) ever since he met with the accident. "Now he has regained his voice which was also recorded after the surgery," a senior doctor at the hospital said today.
At KIMS, laryngofissure and removal of abnormal tissue from narrowed segment of trachea were done using ‘Coblator’. This is a new technique performed for the first time in Odisha, he said.
The surgery was performed by Dr Khageswar Rout, Dr Anil Ku Das under supervision of Prof R N Biswal in Ear-Nose-Throat Department of KIMS. Both surgeons have received training in reputed institutes outside Odisha.
Voice loss and breathing problem are common in neck injury and prolonged intubation patients. This new method for restoration of voice and respiration is a boon for road accident patients, said a surgeon.
KIMS now provides the management of airway and voice problem in road accident patients at affordable price and patients need not go outside Odisha for this expensive treatment, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory