Ready to probe Cuttack land scam, CBI to HC
Cuttack: CBI on Thursday told the Orissa High
Court that it was ready to probe the alleged land scam in
Cuttack if an order was passed in this regard.
A division bench of Justice B P Das and Justice M M
Das, however, made it clear that if a satisfactory report was
not submitted by the government detailing the progress in
probing the charges by January 5, 2012, CBI would be handed
over the case.
CBI counsel S K Padhi told the bench that the
investigating agency has a specific wing in its regional
office at Kolkata which has its jurisdiction in the state to
probe similar charges.
The sleuths of the wing are specifically trained to probe
cases where the mafia in connivance with government officials
grab prime government land, the counsel said.
Bar association members had earlier alleged prime
government land measuring nearly 400 acres in Abhinav Bidanasi
of the city are grabbed by the mafia with the help of local
The HC had expressed concern over the fact and directed
the district collector to conduct a probe and submit a report.
Though the district administration conducted preliminary
investigations, it could not submit any report to the court on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das