Ready to probe Cuttack land scam, CBI to HC
Cuttack: CBI on Thursday told the Orissa High
Court that it was ready to probe the alleged land scam in
Cuttack if an order was passed in this regard.
A division bench of Justice B P Das and Justice M M
Das, however, made it clear that if a satisfactory report was
not submitted by the government detailing the progress in
probing the charges by January 5, 2012, CBI would be handed
over the case.
CBI counsel S K Padhi told the bench that the
investigating agency has a specific wing in its regional
office at Kolkata which has its jurisdiction in the state to
probe similar charges.
The sleuths of the wing are specifically trained to probe
cases where the mafia in connivance with government officials
grab prime government land, the counsel said.
Bar association members had earlier alleged prime
government land measuring nearly 400 acres in Abhinav Bidanasi
of the city are grabbed by the mafia with the help of local
The HC had expressed concern over the fact and directed
the district collector to conduct a probe and submit a report.
Though the district administration conducted preliminary
investigations, it could not submit any report to the court on
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Sandeep Yadav – Narsingh Yadav's roommate, also fails doping test
- KSRTC, BMTC strike begins today; two-day holiday for schools declared
- Dinosaur species may shed new light on megaraptorids
- Syrian migrant killed by own bomb at German bar
- CBI court to pronounce its order on Rajendra Kumar's bail plea today