Register rape FIRs or face action: Naveen to cops
Bhubaneswar: Worried over rise in
atrocities against women and police inaction in some rape
cases, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today directed the
Director General of Police to ensure that such cases were
"I have given strict instruction to the DGP to
register all FIRs made by women. Particular attention must be
given to the complaints made by women belonging to scheduled
tribe, scheduled caste and minorities," Patnaik told reporters
He also cautioned that stringent action would be taken
against the police personnel defaulting in duties in
registering and attending to the cases concerning women.
Patnaik`s statement came in the wake of the rape and
attempt to murder of a dalit girl at Pipli in Puri district,
alleged police inaction in booking the culprits in the gang
rape of a girl in Balasore district and rape and detention of
another girl in Bhubaneswar.
In all the three cases, charges were made against the
police by the opposition parties and the civil society for
siding with the accused persons while the victims had to run
from pillar to post seeking justice.
In Pipili rape case, the government had already
suspended the police in-charge of Pipili police station who
refused to register complaint made by the father of the dalit
Though the alleged rape and attempt to murder of the
dalit girl incident took place on November 28, 2011, police
registered a case only on January 9, 2012 after intervention
of the State Human Rights Commission.
Similarly, the civil society alleged that police did
not take action against the four accused of the gang rape of a
girl in Balasore district though an FIR was lodged on November
3, 2011. The girl was allegedly raped by two persons on
September 25, 2011 after being kidnapped by four persons.
In another case involving kidnapping, rape and
detention of a girl in the state capital, the local Mahila
Police was yet to take any action against the accused though
the FIR was lodged two months ago, victim`s family alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over SP leader Azam Khan's controversial remark on Muslim population
- Former CM Panneerselvam demands secret voting in Tamil Nadu Assembly
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Exclusive: In conversation with Rajnath Singh, Union Home Minister
- DMK, Congress will vote against government formation in Tamil Nadu
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowance Committee likely to submit report on 20 February
- Pakistan Senate passes Hindu Marriage Bill
- This video of Brett Lee's 143m six is taking internet by storm – Watch Video
- India can meet its energy requirements from Moon by 2030, says ISRO