Register rape FIRs or face action: Naveen to cops
Bhubaneswar: Worried over rise in
atrocities against women and police inaction in some rape
cases, Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today directed the
Director General of Police to ensure that such cases were
"I have given strict instruction to the DGP to
register all FIRs made by women. Particular attention must be
given to the complaints made by women belonging to scheduled
tribe, scheduled caste and minorities," Patnaik told reporters
He also cautioned that stringent action would be taken
against the police personnel defaulting in duties in
registering and attending to the cases concerning women.
Patnaik`s statement came in the wake of the rape and
attempt to murder of a dalit girl at Pipli in Puri district,
alleged police inaction in booking the culprits in the gang
rape of a girl in Balasore district and rape and detention of
another girl in Bhubaneswar.
In all the three cases, charges were made against the
police by the opposition parties and the civil society for
siding with the accused persons while the victims had to run
from pillar to post seeking justice.
In Pipili rape case, the government had already
suspended the police in-charge of Pipili police station who
refused to register complaint made by the father of the dalit
Though the alleged rape and attempt to murder of the
dalit girl incident took place on November 28, 2011, police
registered a case only on January 9, 2012 after intervention
of the State Human Rights Commission.
Similarly, the civil society alleged that police did
not take action against the four accused of the gang rape of a
girl in Balasore district though an FIR was lodged on November
3, 2011. The girl was allegedly raped by two persons on
September 25, 2011 after being kidnapped by four persons.
In another case involving kidnapping, rape and
detention of a girl in the state capital, the local Mahila
Police was yet to take any action against the accused though
the FIR was lodged two months ago, victim`s family alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla