Resentment in Odisha BJP, 46 leaders rush to Delhi
Bhubaneswar: Seeking a date for holding president election in Odisha party unit, over 40 BJP leaders including office bearers on Wednesday rushed to Delhi with an aim to exert pressure on the central leadership, party sources said.
"At least 46 party leaders including district presidents and other office bearers are going to Delhi to inform the central leadership about the situation arising out of not holding elections in Odisha," BJP state unit general secretary P Harichandan told reporters.
While most of the office bearers left for Delhi to draw attention of the central leadership, state BJP president Jual Oram said "I am sad over the development. They should resolve the issue here instead of rushing to Delhi."
Oram who completed his tenure as the party president last month, however, clarified that state office bearers taking matters to the central leadership should not be considered as a revolt within BJP.
Resentment in the party over nomination of a leader for President`s post came to the fore last week when district presidents gheroed Jual Oram at the state BJP headquarters here demanding immediate announcement of date for the election.
Earlier, BJP central leadership had advised the state leaders to unanimously elect a new leader for the president post as Oram had been the state party president thrice.
The disgruntled BJP leaders pointed out that since 22 of the 37 organisation units have already elected their presidents, they are eligible to elect the state president.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened