Returning money to investors a complex issue: Odisha Police
Balasore: Though the Crime Branch of Odisha Police have launched statewide raids on chit fund companies, other non-banking financial institutions and have arrested about 100 people, it was not sure about return of money to investors.
"It is a complex issue. No specific commitment can be made on this matter as it involves many legal complications," additional director general of police (Crime Branch), B K Sharma told reporters here.
Sharma said he could not give any assurance in the matter of returning money to investors who feel cheated and duped by chit fund companies and other NBFIs in the state.
There should be requisite legislation in place in order to return money to investors, he said.
Stating that enforcement was part of the actions taken to check cheating of investors, Sharma said, "People should be made aware not to invest their hard earned money in chit fund companies based on false promises."
Sharma who was here today to review the ongoing investigation against some chit fund companies said, a number of cases have been registered against some chit fund companies and investigation is in progress.
He, however, admitted swindling of a large amount of public money in the process through false promises.
Meanwhile, All India Trade Union Congress (AITUC) of Balasore branch demanded a CBI inquiry into the matter and immediate return of money to poor investors.
Jayant Das, president of Balasore AITUC, demanded that a thorough impartial investigation is required in the case as questions are raised on political patronage to such cheating companies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31