RI for 15 in Kandhamal riot case
Phulbani (Orissa): A fast track court on Monday sentenced 15 people to rigorous imprisonment for three years for their involvement in rioting and house burning incidents during the Kandhamal riot in 2008.
Fast track court judge Sobhan Kumar Das convicting the 15 people of Gudrukia village in Baliguda also fined them Rs 1,000 each.
The convicted were involved in rioting and setting fire to houses belonging to the minority community in the 2008 communal violence in the district.
Largescale violence had taken place in Kandhamal district after the killing of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati on August 23 that year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’ Salman Khan weaves magic at BO; to register Rs 500 crore soon!