RI for three ganja peddlers
Berhampur (Odisha): Three women ganja peddlers from Chennai have been sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for 10 years by a court here for smuggling ganja from Gajapati district of Odisha.
Besides the RI, district and sessions judge M K Panda also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on the peddlers -- Subu Karpaye, Mayadi Teber Pechy and B Panji Warnan -- yesterday for smuggling ganja to Chennai, about two years ago.
While another woman from Chennai, accused in the case, had died in the jail some months ago, the court acquitted another person, Surendra Behera.
The four women with 52-kg ganja were travelling in Behera`s auto-rickshaw from Poadamari to Berhampur railway station, when the intelligence wing of the excise arrested them on May 10, 2011.
The excise personnel had arrested them under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substance (NDPS) Act at Mundipalli near Digapahandi.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan