RI for three ganja peddlers
Berhampur (Odisha): Three women ganja peddlers from Chennai have been sentenced to rigorous imprisonment for 10 years by a court here for smuggling ganja from Gajapati district of Odisha.
Besides the RI, district and sessions judge M K Panda also imposed a fine of Rs 1 lakh on the peddlers -- Subu Karpaye, Mayadi Teber Pechy and B Panji Warnan -- yesterday for smuggling ganja to Chennai, about two years ago.
While another woman from Chennai, accused in the case, had died in the jail some months ago, the court acquitted another person, Surendra Behera.
The four women with 52-kg ganja were travelling in Behera`s auto-rickshaw from Poadamari to Berhampur railway station, when the intelligence wing of the excise arrested them on May 10, 2011.
The excise personnel had arrested them under the Narcotics Drugs and Psychotropic Substance (NDPS) Act at Mundipalli near Digapahandi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Veteran Telegu actor Ramana Murthy dead
- Pakistan court indicts 6 LeJ men in 2009 Sri Lanka team attack case
- Haunting! World renowned pianist performs while floating in Arctic to save environment - Watch video
- There will be no conflict of interest when Anil Kumble takes over as chief coach, says BCCI secretary Ajay Shirke
- Sensex surges 237 points to reclaim 27,000 as UK votes on Brexit