RI to three persons for involvement in Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: A fast track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal Friday sentenced three persons to rigorous imprisonment (RI) for three years for their involvement in rioting and arson in the December 2007 riots in the communally sensitive district.
Addition Session Judge Sobhan Kunar Das of the first
track Court No.1 convicted the trio to RI and also slapped a
fine of Rs 1,000 to each of the convicts in connection with
riots and torching of houses at Budurukia village under Raikia
police station on December 26, 2007.
The violence had its genesis in the attack and pelting
of stones on Christmas revellers at Barakhama in the district
on the previous day.
The incident had evoked largescale protest and spread
to other parts of the tribal-dominated district in which
three persons died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH