RI to three persons for involvement in Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: A fast track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal Friday sentenced three persons to rigorous imprisonment (RI) for three years for their involvement in rioting and arson in the December 2007 riots in the communally sensitive district.
Addition Session Judge Sobhan Kunar Das of the first
track Court No.1 convicted the trio to RI and also slapped a
fine of Rs 1,000 to each of the convicts in connection with
riots and torching of houses at Budurukia village under Raikia
police station on December 26, 2007.
The violence had its genesis in the attack and pelting
of stones on Christmas revellers at Barakhama in the district
on the previous day.
The incident had evoked largescale protest and spread
to other parts of the tribal-dominated district in which
three persons died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Magical Ravichandran Ashwin hits 200; Lendl Simmons becomes his latest bunny
- Bailey stars as Australia deny Sri Lanka winning farewell to Dilshan; lead ODI series 2-1
- EPL 2016-17: Gameweek 3 — City go top with win over Hammers
- Glowing distant stars become Hubble's latest subject! - See pic
- PM Modi reaches out to people of Kashmir Valley, talks of 'unity and compassion', slams those fomenting trouble