RI to three persons for involvement in Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: A fast track court in
Orissa`s Kandhamal Friday sentenced three persons to rigorous imprisonment (RI) for three years for their involvement in rioting and arson in the December 2007 riots in the communally sensitive district.
Addition Session Judge Sobhan Kunar Das of the first
track Court No.1 convicted the trio to RI and also slapped a
fine of Rs 1,000 to each of the convicts in connection with
riots and torching of houses at Budurukia village under Raikia
police station on December 26, 2007.
The violence had its genesis in the attack and pelting
of stones on Christmas revellers at Barakhama in the district
on the previous day.
The incident had evoked largescale protest and spread
to other parts of the tribal-dominated district in which
three persons died.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Top wrestler Narsingh fails dope test, may miss Olympics
- UP: At least 7 children killed as school van collides with train in Bhadohi
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- UK warns of Brexit `shadow` on world economy
- 1st Test: Virat Kohli, R Ashwin shine as India thrash West Indies by innings and 92 runs
- Teenage friend of Munich gunman arrested: police
- 11 injured in blast in German city of Ansbach; suspected bomber killed in explosion
- Scoreboard: India vs West Indies, First Test