Rourkela excise constable arrested in dowry torture case
Rourkela: A constable of the state Excise
department was today remanded to judicial custody by a
judicial court at Sundargarh for allegedly torturing his wife
demanding adequate dowry.
Police said the constable, Rajanikanta Das alias
Babul, was married to Sibarani Das, daughter of Malaya Das of
Bilaigarh of the same district on May 10, 2006.
The constable who allegedly had an affair with a
colleague, started torturing his wife for more dowry and even
demanded colour TV, a bike and Rs 30,000.
Sibani`s father, who works as a priest managed
to pay the cash to improve the
relationship of his daughter with her husband. But the torture
continued, according to an FIR lodged with the police.
As the torture continued, Malaya brought Sibani to his
house and lodged the FIR.
Police arrested the constable yesterday and produced
him in the court which remanded him to custody for 14 days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- Italian leaders vow to prevent terrorist attacks
- UN chief voices concern over Turkey situation
- Salman Khan’s ‘Tubelight’ shoot will commence at this breathtaking location – See pic
- WATCH: How Sri Lanka's mystery spinner Lakshan Sandakan left Australia spellbound
- Antibodies that protect against Zika virus in mice identified, claim scientists