Row on foreigners entry issue in Jagannath Temple
Bhubaneswar: The ruling BJD`s senior
leader and Rajya Sabha MP Pyari Mohan Mohapatra`s statement
supporting the idea of allowing foreigners to enter into Sri
Jagannath Temple in Puri has sparked a row with a local outfit
staging agitation before the 12th century shrine.
Mohapatra, considered as the chief advisor to the
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, had on Sunday told a meeting on
tourism that there was nothing wrong to allow foreigners to
enter into the temple in order to boost tourism potential of
"I had said to allow entry of people belonging to all
religions into the temple with a focus on tourism. I was not
speaking at any religious convention, rather at a business
meeting on the promotion of tourism," Mohapatra said,
adding that only tourism could help in providing employment to
the local youths.
The 12th century shrine, however, did not allow
non-Hindus into the temple. A sign board at the temple`s Lion
Gate clearly states: "Only Hindus are allowed".
"If we allow foreigners to enter into the temple,
tourist flow to the state will be doubled," the BJD MP had
Angry over Mohapatra`s statement, activists of
Jagannath Sena in Puri staged a demonstration in front of the
temple and burnt his effigy demanding withdrawal of the
"How can Mohapatra make such a statement which hurts
sentiments of crores of Hindus? He should withdraw it
immediately," said Jagannath Sena`s chief Priyadarshi Patnaik.
Sri Jagannath Temple priest Jagannath Swain Mohapatra
said: "Pyari Babu should not have made such a statement. It is
better for him to withdraw the statement immediately".
Meanwhile, Assam Governor and former Orissa chief
minister JB Patnaik on July 5, had advocated for entry of
ISKCON devotees into the temple. "The ISKCON devotees should
not be prevented from the temple entry for being whites. They
are Hindus and read the sacred `Bhagavat` everyday and have
set up a number of Jagannth Temples across the globe."
Gajapati Maharaj of Puri King Dibyasingha Deb said,
"The religious leaders, saints, spiritual persons should
decide whether non-Hindus should be allowed into the temple."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31