RSP turns Jagdishpur into model village
Rourkela: Life style of 131 families of
Jagdishpur, a sleepy village under Kuanrmunda Block, about 28
km from here has changed with provision of income generation
schemes and total infrastructural development.
The villagers will no more have to walk for miles to
fetch water or venture in the open for toilet.
The tribal village has been adopted by Rourkela Steel
Plant (RSP) under model Steel Village scheme three years
back which completed the task by making all round development
and providing income generation schemes for the villagers.
RSP sources said it had taken up activities related to
infrastructural development, improvement in health, education
and increasing income generation activities.
The plant has constructed 1.6 km of road with three
culverts in the village. Electricity, a basic necessity to
enhance the quality of life was provided by bearing the total
cost of installation, the sources said.
Besides, a total sanitation and water supply project
was implemented as a result each family having toilet
facilities and 24 hours tap water supply. Overhead tank with
facilities of three water taps points in a house were provided
free of cost.
Twenty families have been included in the wadi
project, an initiative that helps small farmers in
agriculture, horticulture and forestry products in small land
A total of 54 families have been given improved
variety of chicks while two families have been provided with
improved variety of goats, as to add to their family income, a
senior official of the RSP said.
All the families were practicing improved agriculture
under the RSP experts. A women research centre set up by the
plant has been functioning in the village, where young girls
of the village were learning the nuances of various income
generation activities as well as health, hygiene and other
self development activities.
A Self Help Group too has been operating under the
patronage of the steel plant. Lok Vikas Sangathan, an
organisation has been formed with opinion leaders of the
village as its members. The Sangathan has been functioning as
a facilitator for the proper implementation of all the
The involvement of the villagers in every stage right
from the identification of beneficiaries to complete
implementation of the project, has made the initiatives of RSP
successful in this tiny village, that is now taking rapid
strides on the path of progress, J C Mohapatra, head of
the corporate communication of the RSP, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets