Ruckus in Odisha Assembly over crime against women
Bhubaneswar: With yet another gangrape incident reported, Odisha Assembly was stalled Thursday amid frequent adjournments as opposition Congress members stormed into well accusing the state government of failing to control rising crime against women.
Furious over repeated rape incidents and rise in crime against women, the Congress MLAs trooped into the well as soon as the House assembled for the day and attempted to climb on the speakers podium.
Besides the alleged gang-rape case in Kendrapara, the slogan shouting opposition members also raised the issue of sexual harassment of girls at a school in Balasore district.
Unable to bring normalcy, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat adjourned the house first till 12.45 am and later till 3 pm. Normalcy, however, returned in the house after 3 pm.
"We have been demanding statement of Chief Minister over the series of crimes against women but Naveen Patnaik, who is also the home minister, has been avoiding making any statement in the house," leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress told reporters outside the Assembly.
Parliamentary affairs minister Kalpataru Das said the opposition can again raise the issue during demand discussion of the home department," Das said.
The gang-rape at Patkura area of Kendrapara district came to the fore a day after the House expressed concern over a series of such incidents including the alleged gangrape of a minor girl at Malkangiri and gang-rape and burning of a 17-year-old dalit girl at Gandia in Dhenkanal district.
The opposition members also raised the issue relating to the sexual harassment of school girls in Balasore.
Today was third consecutive day when opposition raised crime against women issue in the State Assembly. Earlier, the House was stalled for two days on March 15 and 16 over alleged dowry torture by ex-BJD minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- GST listing in Rajya Sabha likely this week, Arun Jaitley to meet state FMs
- Sleep apnea patients at glaucoma risk
- Unbelievable! Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' shatters Box Office, earns Rs 250 crore in India on Day 1?
- Audience don't judge stars with box office numbers: John Abraham
- 'Madaari' is outstanding, says Deepika Padukone