Ruckus in Odisha Assembly over crime against women
Bhubaneswar: With yet another gangrape incident reported, Odisha Assembly was stalled Thursday amid frequent adjournments as opposition Congress members stormed into well accusing the state government of failing to control rising crime against women.
Furious over repeated rape incidents and rise in crime against women, the Congress MLAs trooped into the well as soon as the House assembled for the day and attempted to climb on the speakers podium.
Besides the alleged gang-rape case in Kendrapara, the slogan shouting opposition members also raised the issue of sexual harassment of girls at a school in Balasore district.
Unable to bring normalcy, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat adjourned the house first till 12.45 am and later till 3 pm. Normalcy, however, returned in the house after 3 pm.
"We have been demanding statement of Chief Minister over the series of crimes against women but Naveen Patnaik, who is also the home minister, has been avoiding making any statement in the house," leader of opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress told reporters outside the Assembly.
Parliamentary affairs minister Kalpataru Das said the opposition can again raise the issue during demand discussion of the home department," Das said.
The gang-rape at Patkura area of Kendrapara district came to the fore a day after the House expressed concern over a series of such incidents including the alleged gangrape of a minor girl at Malkangiri and gang-rape and burning of a 17-year-old dalit girl at Gandia in Dhenkanal district.
The opposition members also raised the issue relating to the sexual harassment of school girls in Balasore.
Today was third consecutive day when opposition raised crime against women issue in the State Assembly. Earlier, the House was stalled for two days on March 15 and 16 over alleged dowry torture by ex-BJD minister Raghunath Mohanty and his family members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read