Samabalpur bandh on August 20 in Odisha
Sambalpur: The Sambalpur District Bar Association on Saturday called a Sambalpur bandh on August 20 to demand a permanent bench of the Orissa High Court here.
"We have no other choice but to take recourse to agitation," said Krushna Chandra Baboo, president of Sambalpur District Bar Association.
Expressing resentment over the alleged apathy of the state government towards the genuine demands of the people of western Odisha, Baboo said the Association would intensify its stir from the beginning of the monsoon session of the state Assembly.
Former president of the Association Pramod Rath said that 24-hour picketing would be held before the office of the Revenue Divisional Commissioner as part of the agitation.
Meanwhile, Sambalpur District Magistrate informed the State Election Commission about disruption of the ensuing urban polls for which nomination papers were scheduled to be filed from August 20 till August 24.
"Since the lawyers agitation will continue from August 20 to August 27, it will be difficult for candidates to file nomination papers," the district administration said.
SEC Ajit Tripathy, however, said that there could not be a change in the poll or nomination paper filing schedule.
BJD leader Rohit Pujari said "We along with other parties have decided to refrain from filing nomination in view of out support for establishment of a permanent bench of the Orissa High Court."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch