Sangma arrives in Odisha to seek support
Bhubaneswar: Presidential candidate Purno Sangma arrived in Odisha Sunday to seek support for the July 19 poll.
Chief whip of the Biju Janata Dal (BJD) Rabi Narayan Pani and deputy chief whip Arun Sahu were among the senior leaders who welcomed Sangma, a former Lok Sabha speaker, at the Biju Patnaik airport here.
Although the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is backing Sangma, its leaders were not seen at the reception.
Sangma went straight to the official residence of Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik from the airport.
The BJD has 108 members in the state`s 147-member assembly. It has 14 members in the Lok Sabha and seven in Rajya Sabha.
Patnaik announced his party`s support for Sangma in May and was also the first to sign as a proposer on his nomination papers.
United Progressive Alliance presidential candidate Pranab Mukherjee had campaigned in the state July 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why