Sangma, Patnaik playing tribal card: Odisha Cong
Bhubaneswar: Accusing Presidential candidate PA Sangma and Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik of violating the Constitution by playing tribal and religion card, Odisha Congress on Sunday asked them to refrain from "such method to influence voters".
"Unfortunately, Sangma and his proposer Patnaik are trying to influence voters by projecting him as a tribal and Christian candidate in violation of the Constitution, law and tradition," chief spokesman of Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) Narsingh Mishra told reporters here.
The Constitution clearly says that voters cannot be influenced on the basis of caste, creed and religion, he said cautioning anyone trying to do so would be disqualified.
"Not only the candidate but his supporters also trying to influence voters on these grounds are liable to be punished," he said.
"We condemn this attitude of the candidate, his proposers and supporters for using tribal and religion cards. We want them to refrain from such act," he said.
Apart from the Constitution, the President and Vice President Election Act, 1952 also provides that election for these posts can be nullified if candidates resort to undue practice to influence voters, Mishra said.
Mishra said that an attempt was also being made to divide political parties on lines of caste, creed and religion and weaken democracy to get votes.
Lashing out at Naveen Patnaik for seeking votes for Sangma using his tribal status, the Congress leader said if the chief minister has so much respect and love for tribals he should make a tribal the President of his BJD party.
None of the five Vice-Presidents and ten General Secretaries of ruling BJD is a tribal which shows Naveen`s lack of concern for tribals, he said, adding "one who does not have love and respect for tribals in his party and state should not use their name for votes."
He said Sangma did not visit tribal-dominated Kandhamal area when it was burning amid largescale violence in 2008.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read