SC for special court for MNREGA cases, asks Odisha to consider
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday favoured establishment of special fast track courts to handle cases linked to various scams in implementation of the rural job guarantee scheme under MNREGA in different states.
A bench of justices Swatanter Kumar and Madan B Lokur said such courts are operating in Andhra Pradesh and asked the state of Odisha to consider establishing similar ones.
The bench said it would take up the cases linked to the alleged irregularities in implementation of the rural employment scheme in the states of Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Odisha on November 27.
The court had earlier on September 14 issued notice to the Uttar Pradesh government on a plea for CBI probe into the alleged irregularities in implementing the rural job guarantee scheme under the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MNREGA).
Last year on May 12, it had ordered a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities in enforcing the scheme in Odisha.
The bench was hearing an application by the Centre for Environment and Food Security which had alleged that despite receiving investigation reports and intimations from the Rural Development Ministry about the alleged irregularities, there is an "apparent indifference on part of the state government of UP."
"After receipt of a large number of complaints, the Central government had reached a conclusion that the CBI investigation is necessary in the case of implementation of the MNREGA in the state of Uttar Pradesh.
"In this regard, the Ministry of Rural Development (nodal agency for implementation of the MNREGA) has written twice to the UP chief minister requesting that the state government should order a CBI investigation. The UP government rejected the said request," the NGO had said in its application.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Music-sharing and larger emojis for WhatsApp for iOS soon?
- After Mumbai Indians, Krunal and Hardik Pandya to play for new team
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!