SC Jamir sworn-in as new Odisha Governor
Bhubaneswar: Veteran Congress leader and former governor of Maharashtra and Goa, Senayangba Chubatoshi Jamir, was on Thursday sworn-in as the Governor of Odisha.
Jamir, also a former Nagaland chief minister, was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of Orissa High Court Justice Chokalingam Nagappan at a ceremony in Raj Bhavan here.
The 82-year-old leader succeeded Murlidhar Chandrakant Bhandare, whose tenure had ended on August 20 last year but had been continuing in office till Jamir`s appointment.
Considered as an architect of modern Nagaland, Jamir had also served as Governor of Maharashtra and Goa, besides being chief minister of the north-eastern state five times.
Jamir was first nominated a member of Lok Sabha in 1961 and appointed parliamentary secretary to then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, who was also in-charge of external affairs.
He was later elevated as deputy minister of railways and also served in other ministries at the Centre - Labour and Rehabilitation, Community Development and Cooperation, and Food and Agriculture.
A host of dignitaries, including Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, attended the swearing-in ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song