SC Jamir sworn-in as new Odisha Governor
Bhubaneswar: Veteran Congress leader and former governor of Maharashtra and Goa, Senayangba Chubatoshi Jamir, was on Thursday sworn-in as the Governor of Odisha.
Jamir, also a former Nagaland chief minister, was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of Orissa High Court Justice Chokalingam Nagappan at a ceremony in Raj Bhavan here.
The 82-year-old leader succeeded Murlidhar Chandrakant Bhandare, whose tenure had ended on August 20 last year but had been continuing in office till Jamir`s appointment.
Considered as an architect of modern Nagaland, Jamir had also served as Governor of Maharashtra and Goa, besides being chief minister of the north-eastern state five times.
Jamir was first nominated a member of Lok Sabha in 1961 and appointed parliamentary secretary to then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, who was also in-charge of external affairs.
He was later elevated as deputy minister of railways and also served in other ministries at the Centre - Labour and Rehabilitation, Community Development and Cooperation, and Food and Agriculture.
A host of dignitaries, including Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, attended the swearing-in ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30