SC Jamir sworn-in as new Odisha Governor
Bhubaneswar: Veteran Congress leader and former governor of Maharashtra and Goa, Senayangba Chubatoshi Jamir, was on Thursday sworn-in as the Governor of Odisha.
Jamir, also a former Nagaland chief minister, was administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of Orissa High Court Justice Chokalingam Nagappan at a ceremony in Raj Bhavan here.
The 82-year-old leader succeeded Murlidhar Chandrakant Bhandare, whose tenure had ended on August 20 last year but had been continuing in office till Jamir`s appointment.
Considered as an architect of modern Nagaland, Jamir had also served as Governor of Maharashtra and Goa, besides being chief minister of the north-eastern state five times.
Jamir was first nominated a member of Lok Sabha in 1961 and appointed parliamentary secretary to then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, who was also in-charge of external affairs.
He was later elevated as deputy minister of railways and also served in other ministries at the Centre - Labour and Rehabilitation, Community Development and Cooperation, and Food and Agriculture.
A host of dignitaries, including Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, attended the swearing-in ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- DNA: Will multi-level car parking system across India help reduce traffic jams?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city