SC ruling on Dara `lenient`: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Friday described as
"lenient" the Supreme Court`s decision rejecting CBI`s plea
for death penalty to Dara Singh, convicted for burning alive
Australian missionary Graham Staines and his two minor sons.
The apex court, while upholding the life term awarded to
Dara Singh by the Orissa High Court for the January 1999
killings, ruled that the crime was not "rarest of rare" to
warrant capital punishment.
"The apex court has really relatively been very lenient
in giving the minimum punishment...it was a serious and
barbaric event. It was not merely a case of coercion and
pressure. This barbaric event led to the destruction of child
lives in a brutal and unspeakable manner," party spokesperson
Abhishek Singhvi told reporters here.
While announcing the decision on Wednesday, a bench
comprising justices P Sathasivam and B S Chauhan, while
dismissing the agency`s plea for death penalty, had said the
punishment can be imposed only in the "rarest of rare" cases
depending upon the facts and situation of each case.
Dara Singh and Mahendra Hembrom were found guilty of
burning to death Staines and his sons while they were sleeping
inside a van in front of a church at Manoharpur village in
Koenjhar district of Orissa on January 22, 1999.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read