Scared HIV positive women opting for abortion
Kendrapara: Daunted by the fear of giving birth to infected children, HIV positive women in Odisha`s Kendrapara district are mostly opting to medically terminate their pregnancies.
In the recent past, at least a dozen such instances have taken place. In earlier cases also, majority of expectant mothers who contracted HIV had abortions, according to health officials of government-run hospitals in the region.
"We have asked the state AIDS control society-run integrated counseling and testing centres (ICTC) to provide counseling for HIV-infected pregnant women and to instill in them confidence," said additional district medical officer Manoj Behera.
In the past 12 months, two dozen such abortions were reported. Ironically, the majority of them were carried out in private clinics, in violation of provisions of the Pre-Natal Diagnostic Techniques Act and the Medical Termination of Pregnancy Act, sources said.
Of the 561 infected persons, there are about 72 couples who have tested HIV positive. Many are scared of getting branded as AIDS patients as there are instances of victims here being ostracised.
There is a regular exodus of skilled labour from these parts of the state to the country`s urban and industrial centers triggered by poverty and a lack of employment opportunities.
Migrant labours contract the virus and bring it home to their family members. Over 90 per cent of the 561 HIV carriers were migrant workers, according to officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video