School student allegedly commits suicide in Odisha
Berhampur (Odisha): A class seven student of an upper primary school in Odisha`s Ganjam district allegedly committed suicide due to his parent`s failure to pay contribution for his school picnic, police said on Monday.
Balaram Nayak (12) allegedly committed suicide by hanging in the house at Gobara under Gangapur police station limit, about 70-km from here after returning from the school on Saturday as his parents could not pay the required money for the picnic, they said.
He was taken to the hospital immediately by the villagers, where the doctor declared him brought dead.
The boy`s father Santosh Nayak, a daily labourer, was away for work and mother had gone to forest to collect forest products, when their son took the extreme step, police said.
Ganjam district Collector Krishan Kumar said the Head master of the school was placed under suspension after the incident.
Preliminary inquiry said the student committed suicide as he could not pay the donation for the picnic. Collection of donation in any form was illegal as per the Right to Education Act, an officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part III
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part IV
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part V
- Man who tried to assassinate Ronald Reagan in 1981 to be freed
- One of 9 militants killed in Dhaka raid is 'missing' varsity student
- Cabinet approves AIIMS in Bhatinda
- US Presidential Elections: Why Barack Obama warned Democrats to 'stay worried' about Donald Trump
- Shot putter Inderjeet Singh passes second dope test; NADA awaits July 10 and 11 results