Scores of teachers stage demonstration in Orissa for pay revision
Bhubaneswar: A large number of school teachers from different parts of Orissa on Sunday wore black badges and staged a demonstration on the Teacher day here to press for their demands including pay revision.
Agitating under the banner of Nikhila Utkal Primary School Teachers Association, the teachers demanded that the 6th pay commission recommendation be implemented for them forthwith.
Voicing concern over shortage of teachers in schools throughout the sate, they also sought concrete steps for appointment of adequate number of teahcers in schools to
ensure one teacher for every class.
The protesters also demanded supply of sufficient text books in all schools among other things. Describing the protest by teachers as unfortunate, Orissa`s school and mass education minister Pratap Jena said they should have held talks with the state government before taking to street.
The state government, he said, was taking all steps for the welfare of teachers and improvement of school education.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Horribly Sad! Single lightning strike kills 323 reindeers in Norway
- Retiring Tillakaratne Dilshan speaks on lack of support from teammates during his captaincy stint
- MS Dhoni backs Virat Kohli-led team India to claim No. 1 spot in Tests by the end of home season
- I want to play a warrior: Tabu
- Weeds, less water could spell death for Chandigarh's Sukhna Lake