Scribes boycott Orissa CM`s function
Berhampur: Orissa Chief Minister
Naveen Patnaik`s visit to Ganjam was today boycotted
by journalists in protest against alleged inaction of the
police in bringing to book the culprits responsible for the
attack on scribes at the medical college here.
Scribes boycotted Patnaik`s visit to Chhatrapur,
Humma, Hinjili and Sheragada and staged a sit-in for about
three hours near Mahatma Gandhi statute at Gandhi Nagar here.
The decision to boycott the official visit of the
chief minister was taken following alleged inaction of police
to arrest the medical students involved in attacking media
persons at MKCG Medical College and Hospital here on Monday.
"The journalists are unsafe in this regime as the
fourth estate was attacked in several places in the state," a
senior journalist said.
The latest incident took place at the medical college here,
when several media and camera persons were allegedly beaten up
by medical students while reporting a clash between the
relatives of a dead patient and the medicos, sources said.
Several journalists staged dharna with black badges
and decided to continue their agitation till the arrest of the
attackers. Several organisations and the opposition political
parties, including the Congress, extended their support to the
cause of the journalists.
The mediapersons also demanded transfer of the SP
(Berhampur) for alleged inaction in arresting the culprits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday