SCs occupy lower rung of socio-economic ladder: CM
Bhubaneswar: Admitting that there are many scheduled caste families at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder in Odisha, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday said about 1.5 lakh dalit youths would be imparted placement-linked skill development training.
"In spite of a number of development strategies undertaken for them, the human development indices of many SC families are than the state average," Patnaik said while presiding over a SC Welfare Advisory Board meeting here.
A special drive has been taken up to identify SC boys and girls and to upgrade their skills through placement-linked employbility training, he said adding the state government intended to provide skill based training to 1.5 lakh SC youths in the next five years which would help them get jobs.
Though government had taken several welfare schemes for the development of dalits, their condition do not improve. This despite the fact that SCs contribution to the socio-economic development of the state had been siginficant.
"Odisha has the unique distiction of having 93 SC communities spread over the 30 districts of the state," the chief minister said adding skill development among dalit men and women could help in changing their economic situation.
Patnaik also announced to enhance pre-matric scholarship amount for SC boys to Rs 620 per month and Rs 650 per month for girls. The enhanced scholarsihp would be effective from July 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion