SCs occupy lower rung of socio-economic ladder: CM
Bhubaneswar: Admitting that there are many scheduled caste families at the bottom of the socio-economic ladder in Odisha, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Saturday said about 1.5 lakh dalit youths would be imparted placement-linked skill development training.
"In spite of a number of development strategies undertaken for them, the human development indices of many SC families are than the state average," Patnaik said while presiding over a SC Welfare Advisory Board meeting here.
A special drive has been taken up to identify SC boys and girls and to upgrade their skills through placement-linked employbility training, he said adding the state government intended to provide skill based training to 1.5 lakh SC youths in the next five years which would help them get jobs.
Though government had taken several welfare schemes for the development of dalits, their condition do not improve. This despite the fact that SCs contribution to the socio-economic development of the state had been siginficant.
"Odisha has the unique distiction of having 93 SC communities spread over the 30 districts of the state," the chief minister said adding skill development among dalit men and women could help in changing their economic situation.
Patnaik also announced to enhance pre-matric scholarship amount for SC boys to Rs 620 per month and Rs 650 per month for girls. The enhanced scholarsihp would be effective from July 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray