SCW recommends CB probe into Cong rally clash
Bhubaneswar: The State Commission for Women (SCW) on Saturday recommended to Odisha government to conduct a Crime Branch inquiry into last month`s clash during a Congress rally besides reward for a woman police constable who was allegedly molested in the mob.
SCW`s recommendations came after Odisha governor M C Bhandare ordered a Lokpal probe into the clash at the Congress rally here on September 6 where about 250 people including 60 security personnel were injured.
A woman constable was allegedly molested and seriously injured after being assaulted by the mob during the rally.
"The persons who are directly or indirectly responsible for the assault and outraging the modesty of the lady constable should be identified and action taken," SCW chairperson Jyoti Panigrahi said in her six-page inquiry report submitted to the Chief Minister, Women and Child Development minister and Chief Secretary.
Panigrahi also recommended action against the persons for violation of terms and condition of the agreement for permission of rally or meeting or demonstration peacefully.
"All agitational programmes at lower PMG lead to inconvenience to the common people. It should be avoided to give permission in the crowded area," she said in the report.
SCW also suggested the state government to compensate the medical expense of the woman constable and provide her compensation for loss of her modesty.
"The departmental good service award may be given to the lady constable which will encourage other women to work effectively," Panigrahi said.
On Congress leader Jagdish Tytler against whom criminal cases have been lodged by police, SCW said though the rally was peaceful even as local Congress leaders were giving speech against state government, Tytler directly instigated the gathering to break the cordon and gherao Assembly.
"The words used by Tytler like "Todo" indicated to break the cordon. So gathering took law into their own hands," Panigrahi said in the report.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Funny video alert! Nana Patekar’s ‘Beat Pe Booty’ mashup is hilarious
- Awwdorable photo alert! Shahid Kapoor, Mira Rajput and her baby bump
- Is Sonakshi Sinha a part of Salman Khan’s ‘Dabangg 3’? Here’s the answer
- Kareena Kapoor Khan not in ‘Veerey Di Wedding’? Sonam Kapoor will tell you the truth
- Magnitude 6.4 quake hits Italy near Perugia – USGS