SCW recommends CB probe into Cong rally clash
Bhubaneswar: The State Commission for Women (SCW) on Saturday recommended to Odisha government to conduct a Crime Branch inquiry into last month`s clash during a Congress rally besides reward for a woman police constable who was allegedly molested in the mob.
SCW`s recommendations came after Odisha governor M C Bhandare ordered a Lokpal probe into the clash at the Congress rally here on September 6 where about 250 people including 60 security personnel were injured.
A woman constable was allegedly molested and seriously injured after being assaulted by the mob during the rally.
"The persons who are directly or indirectly responsible for the assault and outraging the modesty of the lady constable should be identified and action taken," SCW chairperson Jyoti Panigrahi said in her six-page inquiry report submitted to the Chief Minister, Women and Child Development minister and Chief Secretary.
Panigrahi also recommended action against the persons for violation of terms and condition of the agreement for permission of rally or meeting or demonstration peacefully.
"All agitational programmes at lower PMG lead to inconvenience to the common people. It should be avoided to give permission in the crowded area," she said in the report.
SCW also suggested the state government to compensate the medical expense of the woman constable and provide her compensation for loss of her modesty.
"The departmental good service award may be given to the lady constable which will encourage other women to work effectively," Panigrahi said.
On Congress leader Jagdish Tytler against whom criminal cases have been lodged by police, SCW said though the rally was peaceful even as local Congress leaders were giving speech against state government, Tytler directly instigated the gathering to break the cordon and gherao Assembly.
"The words used by Tytler like "Todo" indicated to break the cordon. So gathering took law into their own hands," Panigrahi said in the report.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference