SEC holds meeting with senior govt officials over urban polls
Bhubaneswar: Odisha State Election Commissioner Ajit Tripathy on Wednesday asked district collectors and superintendents of police to strictly enforce the model code of conduct during electioneering for the upcoming elections to urban local scheduled to be held on September 19.
Tripathy gave this direction to the district authorities during a meeting with top government officials attended by Chief Secretary, all collectors, all SPs, home secretary and DGP.
"I have asked them to identify vulnerable booths in Maoist affected areas for smooth and incident-free conduct of the elections," Tripathy said.
"We discussed a number of issues with the collectors and SPs for the smooth conduct of election. The steps taken by them for revision and preparation of electoral rolls, besides shortage of staff to conduct the election were also discussed," he said.
The collectors and SPsof the six districts, which have decided to boycott the polls to press the demand for a permanent bench of the High Court in western Odisha, were asked to monitor the situation closely, the SEC said. He said the government was trying to resolve the issue through talks with the agitators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state