SEC holds meeting with senior govt officials over urban polls
Bhubaneswar: Odisha State Election Commissioner Ajit Tripathy on Wednesday asked district collectors and superintendents of police to strictly enforce the model code of conduct during electioneering for the upcoming elections to urban local scheduled to be held on September 19.
Tripathy gave this direction to the district authorities during a meeting with top government officials attended by Chief Secretary, all collectors, all SPs, home secretary and DGP.
"I have asked them to identify vulnerable booths in Maoist affected areas for smooth and incident-free conduct of the elections," Tripathy said.
"We discussed a number of issues with the collectors and SPs for the smooth conduct of election. The steps taken by them for revision and preparation of electoral rolls, besides shortage of staff to conduct the election were also discussed," he said.
The collectors and SPsof the six districts, which have decided to boycott the polls to press the demand for a permanent bench of the High Court in western Odisha, were asked to monitor the situation closely, the SEC said. He said the government was trying to resolve the issue through talks with the agitators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui