Security personnel destroy Maoist camp in Orissa
Berhampur (Orissa): A large cache of
firearms and kitbags belonging to Maoists were seized by
security personnel from a camp inside dense forests in Ganjam
and Kandhamal districts of Orissa on Friday, police said.
The seizures were made near Kerubadi during a joint
combing operation by the state police, CRPF and Cobra
personnel suspecting a Maoist hideout in the area, they
"We have no information regarding casualty from the
Maoist side. Our men are safe," Inspector General (operation)
Y B Khurania said.
Heavy exchange of fire took place between security
personnel and red rebels in which some ultras were believed
to have been injured, DIG, southern range, R K Sharma said.
"Since the ultras fled the area by the time security
personnel reached, we have no information about the injured
rebels. But we suspect that some of them have been seriously
injured in the encounter", Sharam said.
About 50 rebels were suspected to have stayed in the
camp during the operation, he said.
Sharma was coordinating the anti-Maoist operation in
the area. Over 200 security personnel, SP, Ganjam, Rajesh
Pandit and SP, Kandhamal, J N Pankaj had also joined the
Joint combing operation was conducted in the area
following reports of infllux of top Maoist leaders including
cadre from Andhra Pradesh and Chhatisgarh for a bigger
offensive in the area, Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you