Security personnel destroy Maoist camp in Orissa
Berhampur (Orissa): A large cache of
firearms and kitbags belonging to Maoists were seized by
security personnel from a camp inside dense forests in Ganjam
and Kandhamal districts of Orissa on Friday, police said.
The seizures were made near Kerubadi during a joint
combing operation by the state police, CRPF and Cobra
personnel suspecting a Maoist hideout in the area, they
"We have no information regarding casualty from the
Maoist side. Our men are safe," Inspector General (operation)
Y B Khurania said.
Heavy exchange of fire took place between security
personnel and red rebels in which some ultras were believed
to have been injured, DIG, southern range, R K Sharma said.
"Since the ultras fled the area by the time security
personnel reached, we have no information about the injured
rebels. But we suspect that some of them have been seriously
injured in the encounter", Sharam said.
About 50 rebels were suspected to have stayed in the
camp during the operation, he said.
Sharma was coordinating the anti-Maoist operation in
the area. Over 200 security personnel, SP, Ganjam, Rajesh
Pandit and SP, Kandhamal, J N Pankaj had also joined the
Joint combing operation was conducted in the area
following reports of infllux of top Maoist leaders including
cadre from Andhra Pradesh and Chhatisgarh for a bigger
offensive in the area, Sharma said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city