Security stepped up in Orissa ahead of PM`s visit
Bhubaneswar: Authorities have stepped up security in Orissa ahead of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s visit to the state capital Bhubaneswar on Monday.
Manmohan Singh is slated to arrive in the evening and spend the night at the Raj Bhavan, the official residence of state Governor MC Bhandare.
The Prime Minister is scheduled to inaugurate the 99th Indian Science Congress (ISC) at KIIT University complex here on Tuesday.
He is also expected to visit the Congress office here before flying back to Delhi.
A police officer said all necessary arrangements have been made as per the prescribed guidelines. "We have conducted several meetings of police personals. A mock drill was held Sunday to check the security preparedness," he said.
Hundreds of policemen have been deployed around the venue and at strategic locations of the city.
The January 3-7 Congress, the country`s largest such event, focuses on the theme `Science and Technology for Inclusive Innovation-Role of Women`.
Over 15,000 delegates, including 500 foreign scientists and several Nobel laureates, are expected to participate in the five-day event.
The event will comprise technical sessions, plenary sessions, vision talks, panel discussions, public lectures, pride of India expo, children science congress and women science congress.
The KIIT and the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) are jointly hosting the ISC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars