Seven persons arrested in connection with jewellery shop loot
Berhampur: Seven persons, including a woman, were arrested on Sunday from Bhanjanagar and nearby areas of Odisha`s Ganjam district in connection with the loot of a jewellery shop about a month ago.
Police also seized two country-made guns from the arrested persons and recovered around 150 grams of gold ornaments, sub divisional police officer S C Jamadar said.
All the arrested persons belonged to Bhanjanagar area and investigation was in progress to ascertain their involvement in other crimes, he said.
Armed members of the gang had forcibly entered a jewellery shop and looted around 700 grams of gold ornaments and several kilo of silver besides Rs 30,000 after attacking the owners of the shop on June 22.
The traders of the area had threatened to launch an agitation due to delay in arrest of the culprits.
Police said out of the seven arrested persons, two including the woman, were receivers of the looted ornaments, while some others were directly involved in the robbery.
Efforts were on to nab some other members of the gang, the SDPO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth