Seven persons arrested in connection with jewellery shop loot
Berhampur: Seven persons, including a woman, were arrested on Sunday from Bhanjanagar and nearby areas of Odisha`s Ganjam district in connection with the loot of a jewellery shop about a month ago.
Police also seized two country-made guns from the arrested persons and recovered around 150 grams of gold ornaments, sub divisional police officer S C Jamadar said.
All the arrested persons belonged to Bhanjanagar area and investigation was in progress to ascertain their involvement in other crimes, he said.
Armed members of the gang had forcibly entered a jewellery shop and looted around 700 grams of gold ornaments and several kilo of silver besides Rs 30,000 after attacking the owners of the shop on June 22.
The traders of the area had threatened to launch an agitation due to delay in arrest of the culprits.
Police said out of the seven arrested persons, two including the woman, were receivers of the looted ornaments, while some others were directly involved in the robbery.
Efforts were on to nab some other members of the gang, the SDPO said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez