Seven persons burnt to death in Orissa
Berhampur (Orissa): At least seven persons,
including a woman, were burnt to death by a mob in a stone
crusher unit in Ganjam district, about 60 km from here, a
senior police official said on Saturday.
Six bodies, charred beyond recognition, were found
inside a room, while another was lying in the premises of the
unit last night, said DIG (Southern Range), R K Sharma.
"We suspect that the assailants used diesel or petrol to
set the room on fire with the victims trapped inside," he
Although fire tenders from neighbouring Aska and Hinjili
rushed to the spot, none of the victims could be saved.
There have been frequent altercations between locals and
the crusher unit owners over the last two months after the
former objected to blasting in the area, said Sharma.
A few employees of the unit seem to have huddled in the
room to escape a mob that attacked them yesterday, he said.
The victims are believed to be owners, partners and
employees of the crusher unit, Sharma said, adding that the
identities of the dead and the assailants could be ascertained
only after a thorough investigation.
The DIG said that around 200 policemen had been deployed
in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman