Seven sentenced for Kandhamal riots
Phulbani: A Fast Track Court
Wednesday sentenced seven people to rigorous imprisonment for
three years for involvement in the 2008 riots in Odisha`s
Additional Sessions Judge of Fast Track Court-I,
Sobhan Kumar Dash, convicted the seven people for setting
houses on fire and rioting with deadly weapons at Biringia in
Tumudibandha area during the riots.
In three other cases the court acquitted 12 accused
of violence in the district in December, 2007 and
August-September, 2008 due to lack of evidence.
In another case, the judge acquitted 5 arrested for
burning houses and rioting in Dasaguda village under Tikabali
police station on August 26, 2008.
He also acquitted two others of Gadaguda village under
Tikabali police station on September 30 2008 for want of
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes