Shah comm asks Orissa to regulate ore exploration
Bhubaneswar: The Centre-appointed Shah
Commission led by former Supreme Court judge Justice M B Shah
on Monday directed the Orissa government to "limit" exploration of
iron ore, observing that natural resources should not be
finished at one go.
The commission, which is probing reports of illegal
mining in the state holding discussions with state officials
led by Chief Secretary BK Patnaik during its three-day
visit to different mines in Keonjhar district.
Expressing displeasure over Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM)
decision of allowing excavation of excess mineral at different
mines, Shah said "the state is rich in iron ore. This mineral
is required to be conserved and preserved for the future
Chief Secretary Patnaik said the commission asked the
state government to regulate excavation of iron ore in certain
mining circles and undertake peripheral development works.
Asking the government to take precautions before
renewing lease period of certain mines, the commission also
sought to know from IBM officials why it allowed certain mines
to excavate excess minerals, Patnaik said.
On the occasion, the state government informed the
commission about steps taken by it to curb illegal mining
activities in Keonjhar and other places in the state, besides
drawing its attention to the Centre`s delay in revising the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’