Shah Commission begins mining scam probe in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A six-member team of Justice M B Shah Commission Wednesday began its second phase investigation into alleged irregularities in the mining sector of Odisha by scrutinising certain official documents.
"We have sought files and records of 192 iron ore and manganese mines in Odisha. To begin with, the team discussed with state government officials on certain issued relating to the mining scam," said U V Singh, the team leader and Principal Conservator of Forest in Karnataka.
Stating that the team would like to go deep into the mining activities in the state, Singh did not rule out the team visiting certain mines area if required during the investigation. The six-member team was likely to stay in the state till October 11, he said.
The Central government appointed commission which had been probing into mining scam in different states, had visited the state in December last year. Justice Shah, however, did not become part of the team this time.
While Singh asked Odisha government to submit records of 192 mines, the director of mines Deepak Mohanty said that there was confusion over the number of mines.
"In fact, we were earlier told to arrange files of 142 mines," Mohanty said.
Besides steel and mines, the commission had also sought files from forest and environment, revenue, commerce, commercial tax, IBM, regional office of the MoEF and Odisha State Pollution Control Board.
The commission has also asked the state government to ensure that officials of Odisha Mining Corporation, Odisha Mineral Development Corporation and some private mining lessees meet the team members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Preity Zinta missed crew of 'ABCD 2' on 'Nach Baliye 7'
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues