Shah Commission begins mining scam probe in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: A six-member team of Justice M B Shah Commission Wednesday began its second phase investigation into alleged irregularities in the mining sector of Odisha by scrutinising certain official documents.
"We have sought files and records of 192 iron ore and manganese mines in Odisha. To begin with, the team discussed with state government officials on certain issued relating to the mining scam," said U V Singh, the team leader and Principal Conservator of Forest in Karnataka.
Stating that the team would like to go deep into the mining activities in the state, Singh did not rule out the team visiting certain mines area if required during the investigation. The six-member team was likely to stay in the state till October 11, he said.
The Central government appointed commission which had been probing into mining scam in different states, had visited the state in December last year. Justice Shah, however, did not become part of the team this time.
While Singh asked Odisha government to submit records of 192 mines, the director of mines Deepak Mohanty said that there was confusion over the number of mines.
"In fact, we were earlier told to arrange files of 142 mines," Mohanty said.
Besides steel and mines, the commission had also sought files from forest and environment, revenue, commerce, commercial tax, IBM, regional office of the MoEF and Odisha State Pollution Control Board.
The commission has also asked the state government to ensure that officials of Odisha Mining Corporation, Odisha Mineral Development Corporation and some private mining lessees meet the team members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015