Shah Commission begins probe into illegal mining
Keonjhar: The Centre appointed
Shah Commission led by former Supreme Court judge Justice M B
Shah on Thursday formally began investigation into illegal mining in
The Commission held a discussion with the district
authorities of Keonjhar and Sundergarh besides authorities of
the railways, Indian Bureau of Mines (IBM) and forest
"We have supplied documents and replied to the queries
made by the commission during the meeting," Keonjhar district
magistrate D V Swamy told reporters.
Collectors, superintendents of police, divisional
forest officers, regional manager of the pollution control
board and vigilance officer of the south-eastern railways
attended the meeting.
The commission members are scheduled to visit certain
mines in Joda areas of Keonjhar district and Koida area in
Sundergarh district, an official said.
The commission was unlikely to hold public hearing due
to shortage of time.
"One requires sufficient time in order to hold public
hearings. As the commission did not inform the district
administration about its visit, publicity could not be made
for a public hearing.
"Therefore, the commission members will only hear
views of stake holders and receive memoranda from the people,"
said a district official.
"We have complied with all the queries made by the
commission in the past and will provide all support to it,"
steel and mines minister Raghunath Mohanty said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India