Shah Commission to continue probe despite case in Delhi HC
Bhubaneswar: Justice MB Shah who is heading the commission probing the alleged illegal mining activities in Odisha on Wednesday said it will go ahead with its work despite the legal challenge to it by a body of mine operators.
"We are not bothered about it (legal challenge). We have already issued notices to all the mine lessees to appear before the commission," Justice Shah told reporters after arriving here.
The commission would proceed with its investigation into alleged illegal mining of iron and manganese ores in the state, he said.
Justice Shah is scheduled to preside over today`s hearing where at least 14 major mine companies and the state government would appear.
Federation of Indian Mineral Industries(FIMI) has moved Delhi High Court a few days before the Shah Commission is scheduled to conclude its investigation alleging that the inquiry was being carried out in an `arbitrary and whimsical manner and without the authority of law`.
The commission had been appointed by Ministry of Mines in November 2010 to go into allegations of illegal mining of iron and manganese ores in Odisha and Goa.
Both Odisha government and the mine companies have hired prominent lawyers from Supreme Court to plead on their behalf before the Shah Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- IIFA 2016: Why should Oscars become benchmark to celebrate Indian cinema, asks Anupam Kher
- US floods: 24 dead in West Virginia; search and rescue continues
- Pampore terror attack: PM Narendra Modi pained by demise of CRPF jawans, salutes their courage
- PM Narendra Modi to share his thoughts in 21st edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' today
- IIFA Awards 2016: Here is the list of winners