Shah Commission to continue probe despite case in Delhi HC
Bhubaneswar: Justice MB Shah who is heading the commission probing the alleged illegal mining activities in Odisha on Wednesday said it will go ahead with its work despite the legal challenge to it by a body of mine operators.
"We are not bothered about it (legal challenge). We have already issued notices to all the mine lessees to appear before the commission," Justice Shah told reporters after arriving here.
The commission would proceed with its investigation into alleged illegal mining of iron and manganese ores in the state, he said.
Justice Shah is scheduled to preside over today`s hearing where at least 14 major mine companies and the state government would appear.
Federation of Indian Mineral Industries(FIMI) has moved Delhi High Court a few days before the Shah Commission is scheduled to conclude its investigation alleging that the inquiry was being carried out in an `arbitrary and whimsical manner and without the authority of law`.
The commission had been appointed by Ministry of Mines in November 2010 to go into allegations of illegal mining of iron and manganese ores in Odisha and Goa.
Both Odisha government and the mine companies have hired prominent lawyers from Supreme Court to plead on their behalf before the Shah Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, released later
- DNA: Ground reporting of the deteriorating sanctity of Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...