Shah Commission to continue probe despite case in Delhi HC
Bhubaneswar: Justice MB Shah who is heading the commission probing the alleged illegal mining activities in Odisha on Wednesday said it will go ahead with its work despite the legal challenge to it by a body of mine operators.
"We are not bothered about it (legal challenge). We have already issued notices to all the mine lessees to appear before the commission," Justice Shah told reporters after arriving here.
The commission would proceed with its investigation into alleged illegal mining of iron and manganese ores in the state, he said.
Justice Shah is scheduled to preside over today`s hearing where at least 14 major mine companies and the state government would appear.
Federation of Indian Mineral Industries(FIMI) has moved Delhi High Court a few days before the Shah Commission is scheduled to conclude its investigation alleging that the inquiry was being carried out in an `arbitrary and whimsical manner and without the authority of law`.
The commission had been appointed by Ministry of Mines in November 2010 to go into allegations of illegal mining of iron and manganese ores in Odisha and Goa.
Both Odisha government and the mine companies have hired prominent lawyers from Supreme Court to plead on their behalf before the Shah Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened