Showers bring relief from blistering heat in Odisha
Bhubaneswar: Thunder squall followed by rains brought down temperatures in several parts of Odisha, bringing relief to people from the blistering heat wave conditions in the state, an official said on Wednesday.
The coastal belt in Odisha saw widespread rains in the last 24 hours. The district headquarters town of Cuttack, some 25 km from here, received 22.6 mm of rainfall which was highest in the state, an official at the meteorological centre here said.
Other places witnessing rains include the state capital Bhubaneswar, port town of Paradip, and district headquarters town of Angul, Talcher and Keonjhar, the official added.
Last week, heat wave conditions prevailed across the state with temperatures soaring above 45 degrees Celsius in some areas.
"Temperatures have fallen by four-five degrees in most places. An overcast sky was seen in most parts of the coastal belt, including Bhubaneswar. More rainfall is expected in the next few days," the official said.
A low pressure system has developed over the northern part of Bay of Bengal and it may convert into a depression in the next two days, the official said.
More rains are expected in northern and some southern areas in the state, with some places receiving heavy rains.
The southwest monsoon may arrive in the state as per schedule by June 15, which is expected to bring further relief to the people. The monsoon arrived in the Andaman region on May 24.
"The weather conditions appear favourable for further advancement of monsoon. We expect it to arrive in Kerala June 3," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender