Six die in Orissa thunderstorm
Bhubaneswar: At least six people, including four children, have been killed as thunderstorms wreaked havoc in several parts of Orissa, an official said Tuesday.
Heavy rains struck several places in both coastal and western parts of the state, including capital city Bhubaneswar and its neighbouring Cuttack, Monday evening.
The rains continued for several hours and caused the maximum devastation in Sundargarh and Jharsuguda districts.
Four minor children died when lightning hit them when they took shelter under a tree to escape the rain in Sundargarh district.
The mishap took place near Oramlata village, a senior state revenue official said.
Two people were killed in separate incidents after trees uprooted during thunderstorm fell on them in Jharsuguda district, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon