Six die in Orissa thunderstorm
Bhubaneswar: At least six people, including four children, have been killed as thunderstorms wreaked havoc in several parts of Orissa, an official said Tuesday.
Heavy rains struck several places in both coastal and western parts of the state, including capital city Bhubaneswar and its neighbouring Cuttack, Monday evening.
The rains continued for several hours and caused the maximum devastation in Sundargarh and Jharsuguda districts.
Four minor children died when lightning hit them when they took shelter under a tree to escape the rain in Sundargarh district.
The mishap took place near Oramlata village, a senior state revenue official said.
Two people were killed in separate incidents after trees uprooted during thunderstorm fell on them in Jharsuguda district, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days