Six die in Orissa thunderstorm
Bhubaneswar: At least six people, including four children, have been killed as thunderstorms wreaked havoc in several parts of Orissa, an official said Tuesday.
Heavy rains struck several places in both coastal and western parts of the state, including capital city Bhubaneswar and its neighbouring Cuttack, Monday evening.
The rains continued for several hours and caused the maximum devastation in Sundargarh and Jharsuguda districts.
Four minor children died when lightning hit them when they took shelter under a tree to escape the rain in Sundargarh district.
The mishap took place near Oramlata village, a senior state revenue official said.
Two people were killed in separate incidents after trees uprooted during thunderstorm fell on them in Jharsuguda district, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur