Six Maoists surrender in Odisha
Malkangiri: Six Maoists, involved in several Naxal operations, surrendered before the police in Odisha`s Malkangiri district Monday "due to disillusionment with rebel activities."
The Maoists, who surrendered before the SP, were involved in a number of offences including blasting of pipeline of a private steel company, blowing up of several buildings, loot and extortions for the last five years, Malkangiri Superintendent of Police Akhileswar Singh said.
All the six Maoists belong to Ranginiguda and Raleguda areas, he said.
They were also engaged in collection of information, organising meetings in remote villages and carrying messages of Maoist leaders, they said.
They were identified as Raju Hentala (43), Bhanja Hentala (35), Purushottam Khara (27), Rupa Khila (42), Tripati Khara (25) and Gopinath Pangi (28), the SP said.
The surrendered rebels said they decided to return to the mainstream to lead a normal life after realising that the Maoists had deviated from their ideology.
Moreover, they suffered discrimination and ill-treatment by senior leaders, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of PM Modi-led government's promise of good days- Part III
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working
- DNA: Analysis of why every third ATM in India is not working- Part II
- Sleep apnea gets worse in post-menopausal women
- APICET 2016 Results: (apicet.net.in) AP ICET Result 2016, AP Integrated Common Entrance Test Results to be declared today on May 27 at 9 AM
- CHSE Odisha Plus Two (Class 12) Exam Results 2016 is likely to be declared today anytime soon - Check orissaresults.nic.in and chseodisha.nic.in
- Trump would approve oil pipeline project blocked by Obama on green concerns
- Deep-water search for EgyptAir black boxes to start soon