Sixteen independent councillors join BJD
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections, at least 16 independent councillors on Tuesday joined the ruling BJD here.
While 11 corporators were from the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC), five Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) corporators announced joining the BJD at Naveen Niwas here in presence of party president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"Several corporators have joined BJD today. It will strengthen our party," Patnaik said.
All these 16 councillors had contested against BJD candidates after being denied party tickets in the recently concluded urban local body elections for the said two municipal corporations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- PM Modi condoles APJ Abdul Kalam's death
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Cricket series can't happen along with terror attacks: Anurag Thakur warns PCB