Sixteen independent councillors join BJD
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections, at least 16 independent councillors on Tuesday joined the ruling BJD here.
While 11 corporators were from the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC), five Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) corporators announced joining the BJD at Naveen Niwas here in presence of party president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"Several corporators have joined BJD today. It will strengthen our party," Patnaik said.
All these 16 councillors had contested against BJD candidates after being denied party tickets in the recently concluded urban local body elections for the said two municipal corporations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says