Sixteen independent councillors join BJD
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections, at least 16 independent councillors on Tuesday joined the ruling BJD here.
While 11 corporators were from the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC), five Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) corporators announced joining the BJD at Naveen Niwas here in presence of party president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"Several corporators have joined BJD today. It will strengthen our party," Patnaik said.
All these 16 councillors had contested against BJD candidates after being denied party tickets in the recently concluded urban local body elections for the said two municipal corporations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij