Sixteen independent councillors join BJD
Bhubaneswar: Ahead of the forthcoming Lok Sabha elections, at least 16 independent councillors on Tuesday joined the ruling BJD here.
While 11 corporators were from the Bhubaneswar Municipal Corporation (BMC), five Cuttack Municipal Corporation (CMC) corporators announced joining the BJD at Naveen Niwas here in presence of party president and Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"Several corporators have joined BJD today. It will strengthen our party," Patnaik said.
All these 16 councillors had contested against BJD candidates after being denied party tickets in the recently concluded urban local body elections for the said two municipal corporations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Welshman Gareth Bale fires Real Madrid past Real Sociadad 3-0 in the opening encounter
- Rio Olympics bid farewell as athletes sign-off with a colorful closing ceremony
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award