Solution to Italian hostage crisis possible soon
Bhubaneswar: Mediators for Maoists holding
two Italians hostage since March 14 on Friday said that a solution
to the problem was possible tomorrow and talks were taking
time because of complex issues involved.
"Talks are progressing well and we hope to conclude
the negotiations by tomorrow evening. We are hopeful that some
positive solution will come out," social activist and former
bureaucrat BD Sharma negotiating on behalf of the ultras told
reporters after the second day of talks with government
"All 13 issues raised by the abductors were discussed
threadbare as the three government negotiators showed a
positive approach during talks," he said.
Sharma said the talks were taking time to yield
results in view of the complexity of issues.
He and the other negotiator Danadapani Mohanty
reiterated that the two Italians Paolo Bosusco and Claudio
Colangelo, kidnapped from tribal-dominated Kandhamal district
while trekking, were in good health, safe and unharmed.
Asked whether any of the hostages were released, both
the Maoist negotiators said they had no information.
They also clarified that their suggestion of bringing
one of the three jailed Maoist leaders, Narayan Sanyal, Amit
Bagchi or Kobad Gandhi, lodged in jails at Giridih,
Vishakhapatanam and Tihar to Bhubaneswar to monitor talks, was
no longer on the agenda.
"Only the two of us will continue the talks on behalf
of the Maoists," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31