Solution to Italian hostage crisis possible soon
Bhubaneswar: Mediators for Maoists holding
two Italians hostage since March 14 on Friday said that a solution
to the problem was possible tomorrow and talks were taking
time because of complex issues involved.
"Talks are progressing well and we hope to conclude
the negotiations by tomorrow evening. We are hopeful that some
positive solution will come out," social activist and former
bureaucrat BD Sharma negotiating on behalf of the ultras told
reporters after the second day of talks with government
"All 13 issues raised by the abductors were discussed
threadbare as the three government negotiators showed a
positive approach during talks," he said.
Sharma said the talks were taking time to yield
results in view of the complexity of issues.
He and the other negotiator Danadapani Mohanty
reiterated that the two Italians Paolo Bosusco and Claudio
Colangelo, kidnapped from tribal-dominated Kandhamal district
while trekking, were in good health, safe and unharmed.
Asked whether any of the hostages were released, both
the Maoist negotiators said they had no information.
They also clarified that their suggestion of bringing
one of the three jailed Maoist leaders, Narayan Sanyal, Amit
Bagchi or Kobad Gandhi, lodged in jails at Giridih,
Vishakhapatanam and Tihar to Bhubaneswar to monitor talks, was
no longer on the agenda.
"Only the two of us will continue the talks on behalf
of the Maoists," they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends