Sons of political heavyweights in poll fray in Ganjam
Berhampur: Sons of at least three veteran political leaders are pitted as contenders in the politically sensitive Ganjam district of Odisha in the twin elections to Lok Sabha and state assembly on April 10.
Lok Nath Rath, son of veteran Congress leader and former Union minister Ram Chandra Rath, will contest from the Aska Lok Sabha constituency on a Congress ticket.
His father was elected three times from this prestigious constituency.
Lok Nath, an advocate from New Delhi and a greenhorn in politics, would cross swords with BJD`s Ladu Kishor Swain, a former MLA.
Similarly Manoranjan, son of Chintamani Dyansamantara, former state assembly Speaker and senior Congress leader, will lock horns with BJD veteran and state minister for women and child development, Usha Devi, in the Chikiti assembly constituency.
Manoranjan will contest on a Congress ticket for the first time, while Usha will be in the fray for the fourth time for this seat. Chintamani had won this seat three times.
"Though I will contest for the first time in the assembly election, I am not new in politics," said 42-year-old Manoranjan, who is now a samiti member of the Patrapur panchayat. His wife is also a member of the panchayat samiti.
"I am not new to this constituency as I had campaigned for my father in the last election," said the junior Dyansamantara, adding, "I am confident of winning."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!