Southco close to restoration of electricity in Ganjam
Berhampur (Odisha): Nearly two months after severe cyclone Phailin hit Odisha, power distribution company Southco said it was close to restoration of electricity supply in worst-hit Ganjam district.
About 4,000 out of 55,000 consumers in 70 locations, including 33 villages and 37 hamlets, are waiting for power restoration in the district by Friday evening, sources said.
The power distribution company also claimed to supply power to almost all the public utilities like the water supply points of the Public Health Engineering Department (PHED), health centres and BSNL towers.
The company submitted the progress of the power restoration in the district to district collector Krishan Kumar on Friday evening, on the eve of the deadline fixed by the government for completion of restoration of power in the cyclone-hit district.
State`s Energy Secretary P K Jena had asked the Southco official to complete the restoration work by December 7. He had also asked the company to submit the list of villages where electricity has been restored to the district collector.
The collector will intimate the government about the progress of the achievements on power restoration.
Meanwhile, Southco has notified the list of villages and hamlets where restoration of power is yet to be made. The company has also appealed to the public to intimate its control room set up in its corpoarate office here, if any of location was left-out in the non-restoration list to take immediate action.
Dispute between villages, demand of villagers for upgradation of existing power network, standing crops in paddy fields, water logging and inaccessibility to work sites were some of the reasons for delay in restoration of power in the district, company sources said.
It claimed the progress in restoration work was good despite the numerous problems after the cyclone. Phailin, which hit the district on October 12 had damaged 460-km KV line, 35 primary sub-stations, 3130-km 11-KV line, 5872-km of low transmission line, and 1739 distribution transformers, sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town